Chapel of the Espíritu Santo

General information

Ermita Capilla Del Espíritu Santo
Chapel in the Barrio de los Pescadores that worships the Virgen del Carmen

Located in the Barrio de los Pescadores, this ancient hermitage was founded in 1586 by Antón Manuel, Alderman of the Town Council and Captain of the Militias, and his wife Leonor Gil for "the greater glory of God, the relief of their consciences and the rest of their bodies". The construction was carried out on a site donated by the Duke of Medina Sidonia where there used to be a watchtower to watch for tuna.

Situated close to the sea, at the same height as the surrounding buildings, the bell and the cross on the façade announce that this small temple of Christian worship, much loved by the fishing community of Conil, has been reached.

In the 1940s it was used as a warehouse for fishing equipment and as a shelter for the troops during the Civil War, and in the 1960s it recovered its religious use.

This chapel worships the Virgen del Carmen, patron saint of fishermen and sailors, which is why it is located in the Barrio de los Pescadores, an old neighbourhood where sailors lived, notable for its narrow streets and courtyards.
In this religious enclave, the bell of its belfry, dating from 1632, is the oldest existing bell in Conil.

Our location

Interesting data

Calle Amargura, 3, 11140, Conil de la Frontera, Andalucía, Cádiz, ES
How to get

Add new comment