Church of Santa Catalina and Town Hall

General information

Parroquia Santa Catalina De Alejandría
Built to worship Nuestra Señora de las Virtudes

This hermitage, built in 1567, was founded by the Franciscan order of the "Frailes Mínimos de San Francisco de Paula", under the patronage of the Duke of Medina Sidonia and Lord of the Villa de Conil, to worship Nuestra Señora de las Virtudes, patron saint of this Villa. This building housed the former convent of Mínimos.

It was at the end of the 16th century when the present church was built. It consists of a single nave with a Latin cross floor plan and adjoining side chapels. The transept is covered by a vault carved in sandstone, and in its centre, presiding over the main altar is the coat of arms of the Ducal House of Medina Sidonia. The façade and bell tower date from the early 17th century, the work of Fray Luis Vázquez de Dueñas. The cloister and the outbuildings of the former convent date from the 18th century.

The current Town Hall of Conil occupies the cloister and outbuildings of this former convent. It was in 1839 when the offices were provisionally installed and ten years later it was solemnly and definitively occupied as the Town Hall. Inside there is a magnificent courtyard from the former convent.

Inside there are different carvings of great value, among them, the Virgin of the Virtues in Gothic style, together with Saint Catherine of Alexandria and Saint Sebastian, who preside over the High Altar of this parish church as patron saints of Conil. Another figure worth mentioning is that of the Crucified Christ, a 17th century Baroque carving.

Our location

Interesting data

Pl. de Sta. Catalina, 8. Conil de la Frontera, Cádiz, 11140, Conil de la Frontera, Andalucía, Cádiz, ES
How to get

Add new comment