The Puerta de la Villa is one of the main entrances to the old walled enclosure of Conil that is still preserved today.
Popularly known as the Arco de la Villa, it was formerly known as the Puerta de Vejer because this is where the road to this neighbouring town began.
It is the only surviving gate of the four that made up the great wall that surrounded Conil in the 16th century. The original construction dates back to 1502 when the Duke Don Juan de Guzmán ordered the town to be surrounded by walls to prevent enemy attacks due to its proximity to the sea.
In its beginnings, the construction consisted of an upper floor and a lower floor, which was the starting point for the stairways that led to the surveillance corridors that ran along the walled enclosure.
Nowadays, it is an emblematic place in Conil, as it is still one of the entrances and exits to the historic centre and a meeting place.
Through this gate you can access the old Plazuela de la Veracruz, now Plaza de España, one of the most central squares in the town. This square has its origins in the urban developments of the 18th and 19th centuries, when the new local bourgeoisie demolished old buildings to build new houses in keeping with their economic power.
The Puerta de la Villa has been listed as an Asset of Cultural Interest (ACI) since June 1985.